Rhoades & Morrow

Just another PLM WordPress site

FREE CONSULTATIONS

DELAWARE INJURY LAWYERS

Wilmington 302-427-9500 Bear 302-834-8484 Milford 302-422-6705 (Appointment Only) Lewes 302-550-0155

Speeders in Seaford, Delaware

Bear Car Accident Lawyers discuss speeding accidents and fatalities, including those in Seaford, Delaware. Speeding is not just an expensive nuisance resulting in fines, suspensions, and insurance rate increases for guilty drivers. Speeding also poses a very real danger to drivers, their passengers, and any others traveling in their vicinity. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), speed is a factor in more than one-quarter of all fatal car accidents nationwide.

Online insurance shopping platform Insurify analyzed nearly one-and-a-half million auto insurance applications nationwide, to identify twenty cities in the United States with the most speeding violations.

Seaford, Delaware was among them, coming in at number three.

A Closer Look at Seaford’s Driving Record

Seaford, the Sussex County town with a population of 7,750, was home to 39 speeding-related fatalities in 2016. A staggering one-fifth of drivers in Seaford reported at least one speeding violation on their auto insurance application.

Despite the warnings about the risks of speeding, Americans do not seem to be getting the message. A recent AAA report found that more than half of drivers surveyed admitted to driving at least 15 miles per hour over the speed limit on the highway, and more than 18 percent said they did so often.

How Speed Kills

Many serious and fatal car accidents are not caused by human error. Poorly maintained roadways, hazardous weather conditions, and mechanical issues can lead to a crash.

However, many other types of motor vehicle accidents can be avoided with responsible driving habits. Collisions where speed is a factor can largely be prevented.

Like drunk driving, drowsy driving, and distracted driving, speeding increases the chance that the driver, or someone near the driver, will be killed or seriously injured in a collision. Even when a driver travels at just ten miles per hour over the speed limit, the risk of serious injuries rises significantly.

For example: A pedestrian hit by a car moving at 30 miles per hour has a 60 percent chance of surviving the accident; but that falls to 40 percent when the car is moving at 40 miles per hour. A speeding driver has less time to react to a hazard ahead to avoid a crash.

Traffic safety experts recommend increasing education about the dangers of speeding, making the consequences of speeding more severe, reducing speed limits in some high-crash areas, and adding more visible cues like speed bumps and crosswalks to protect everyone from the dangers of excessive speed.

Bear Car Accident Lawyers at Rhoades & Morrow Pursue Compensation for Injuries Caused by Speeding 

If you have been harmed in a car accident due to another person’s distracted driving, drunk driving, or speeding, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries. Contact an experienced Bear car accident lawyer at Rhoades & Morrow to work on your behalf, so you can focus on healing emotionally and physically from your injuries.

Our team of skilled personal injury lawyers handle all types of motor vehicle accidents. To get started today, call 302-834-8484 or contact us online. We offer free case consultations at our offices in Bear, Wilmington, and Milford, and serve clients in Seaford, Elsmere, and across Delaware.