Rhoades & Morrow

Just another PLM WordPress site



Wilmington 302-427-9500 Bear 302-834-8484 Milford 302-422-6705 Lewes 302-550-0155

How to Handle a Car Accident Involving Children

Bear Car Accident Lawyers weigh in on handling car accidents involving children. More than three million people in the United States are injured in car accidents each year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). From January 1, 2018 until November 13, 2018, there were 92 car crash fatalities in Delaware alone.

Sadly, children may be in the car at the time of these accidents. Therefore, it is important to know how to handle car accidents involving children.

What to Do at the Scene of the Accident

The first thing to do at the scene of the accident is check if your children are injured. Some injuries like lacerations and penetrating wounds are visible. Others may not be apparent, such as a concussion, a traumatic brain injury (TBI), or whiplash. Children who are strapped into car seats must be carefully inspected for wounds that may not be readily noticeable.

Call 911 to report any injuries and ask for emergency assistance. Keep in mind that certain injuries to you or your children may take time to show symptoms, or may initially present as a minor injury. Therefore, you should always seek medical attention for you and your children after a car accident.

If you are able to, pull over as close to the accident scene as possible, to avoid obstructing traffic or causing any further accidents. Stay calm and assess the scene of the accident and the damage caused. Take notes and pictures of details like the location, time of day, weather conditions, any property damage caused, any injuries you and your children sustained, and other circumstances surrounding the accident.

Exchange Information

Exchange information with the other parties involved, including their:

  • Name
  • Address
  • Contact details
  • Driver’s license number
  • License plate number
  • Auto insurance details

It is important that your rendition of the events be documented, so if the police were not called to the scene of the accident, be sure to file a police report afterwards.

In Delaware, certain car accidents must also be reported to the Delaware Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), including if the car accident occurred on a public highway, resulted in at least $500 of property damage, or involved a driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol and resulted in $1,000 of property damage or more.

It is advisable to speak with a Bear car accident lawyer before making any statements or agreeing to any settlements.

Getting Compensation for Injuries

In Delaware, those who are injured in a car accident may file a personal injury claim against the driver who caused the accident. Children are generally entitled to collect the same compensation that adults can receive, including medical bills, pain and suffering, disability, and other forms of compensation.

Parents of children under the age of 18 may negotiate the claim on the child’s behalf and recover compensation for any medical bills paid on behalf of their minor child.

Bear Car Accident Lawyers at Rhoades & Morrow Help Parents Get Compensation for Their Children’s Car Accident Injuries

If you or your child was injured in a car accident, contact a Bear car accident lawyer at Rhoades & Morrow as soon as possible. In Delaware, you have two years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury claim. Our experienced lawyers can help you get the compensation you deserve. For a free consultation, contact us online or call us at our Wilmington, Delaware office at 302-427-9500, our Bear, Delaware office at 302-824-8484 or our Milford, Delaware office at 302-422-6705. We serve clients throughout the state of Delaware, including Elsmere and Seaford.

Top Lawyer Delaware